‘Asbestos warning’ as fire crews attend large fire in Dalgety Bay

‘Asbestos warning’ as fire crews attend large fire in Dalgety Bay

Firefighters were called to tackle a large fire in Dalgety Bay on Wednesday, 6 September just before 7pm.

An industrial unit, believed to be vacant, within the Hillend Industrial Estate became alight.  The building neighbours the Dalgety Bay Recycling Centre and Craig Ridge.

A local resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “Firemen told us to get indoors because of asbestos.”

Signage outside the long-term vacant premises which was a former auction house confirms there may be asbestos present within the building.

A comment from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service has been sought.

Local police were advising members of the public to stay indoors.

The incident was reported to police around 6.40pm. Police attended along with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service as the blaze was brought under control.

Police confirmed the blaze was extinguished shortly after 10pm and said:  “Officers do not consider the public to be at risk and those living in the immediate area are no longer advised to stay indoors.

“Inquiries into the cause of the fire will be conducted by Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service over the coming days.

“Officers would like to thank the public for their co-operation while the fire was dealt with.

“Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact officers at Dalgety Bay Police Station on 101, quoting incident number 3038 of September 6.”

A police spokesperson had earlier warned: “Traffic diversions are in place surrounding Hillend Industrial Estate and members of the public are being asked to avoid the local area.

“Due to noxious gases emitted by the fire, those living to the east of the Hillend Industrial Estate are being asked to stay indoors with their windows and doors shut.

“Streets affected include Moubray Road, Seton Place, Inchmickery Road, Pentland Rise and Skua Drive.”

Inspector Mark Logue of Dalgety Bay Police Station said: “This is a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of those living in the immediate area.

“I would ask those living in the Ridge Way area of Dalgety Bay to follow police instruction and stay inside with their doors and window shut.

“Further updates will be issued on Fife Division’s Facebook and Twitter page as the incident progresses.”

It is not yet known how the fire started.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login